9/12/2006

The Soon-To-Be Famous First Line Quiz: The '80s

I don't know about you, but that last post left a bad taste in my mouth. And by bad taste, I mean the rank tang of regurgitation. So let's cleanse the palate with some more '80s goodness, shall we? Here are the first lines from 50 '80s songs—see if you can guess what they are. It's already pretty tricky, and make it even trickier, I reproduced the lines using proper punctuation (or as close to it as I can get)...you may be surprised how much harder that makes it! I'll post the answers in the comments section below the post. Don't peek!

Good luck, sweeties!

1. Now, the king told the boogie men, "You have to let that raga drop."
2. You're wondering who I am—machine or mannequin.
3. Give me time to realize my crime. Let me love and steal.
4. I can't believe the news today; I can't close my eyes and make it go away.
5. She'll only come out at night, —the lean and hungry type.
6. Who's gonna tell you when it's too late? Who's gonna tell you things aren't so great?
7. Er war ein Punker, und er lebte in der großen Stadt.
8. No New Year's Day to celebrate; no chocolate-covered candy hearts to give away.
9. Lying in my bed, I hear the clock tick and think of you.
10. Well, I'm an axegrinder piledriver.
11. Dig, if you will, the picture of you and I engaged in a kiss.
12. Every time I think of you, I feel a shot right through with a bolt of blue.
13. Jump back, what's that sound ? Here she comes, full blast and top down.
14. Watch out, you might get what you're after.
15. Will I see him on the TV, preachin' 'bout the promised land?
16. Something in the way you love me won't let me be.
17. I wanted to be with you alone and talk about the weather.
18. Turn around. Every now and then I get a little bit lonely and you're never coming around.
19. I went to a party last Saturday night; I didn't get laid, I got in a fight.
20. Sometimes, you're better off dead.
21. Hast du etwas Zeit für mich
22. There are things that you guess and things that you know.
23. We're talking away. I don't know what I'm to say. I'll say it anyway.
24. Hey, you! Get into my car!
25. I know just how to whisper, and I know just how to cry. I know just where to find the answers, and I know just how to lie.
26. This whole life seems much too long; little point in going on.
27. There's a little black spot on the sun today. It's the same old thing as yesterday
28. All you've got is this moment. The twenty-first century's yesterday.
29. What you gonna do when you get out of jail?
30. I heard you on the wireless back in '52, lying awake intent at tuning in on you.
31. The sun goes down, the night rolls in; you can feel it starting all over again.
32. You turn me on. You lift me up, and like the sweetest cup, I'd share with you.
33. Josie's on a vacation far away.
34. It's Christmastime; —there's no need to be afraid; at Christmastime, we let in light and we banish shade.
35. Hot summer streets and the pavements are burning.
36. You've gone too far this time and I'm dancing on the valentine.
37. Once I had a love and it was a gas.
38. I walked along the avenue. I never thought I'd meet a girl like you.
39. Ricky was a young boy; he had a heart of stone.
40. If I get to know your name, well, I could trace your private number, baby.
41. Got to take a little time, a little time to think things over.
42. Love is like a bomb, baby. Come on, get it on.
43. She was more like a beauty queen from a movie scene.
44. Just and urchin living under the streets, I'm a hard case that's tough to beat.
45. You put the boom-boom into my heart.
46. There comes a time when we need a certain call when the world must come together as one.
47. There'’s this girl that'’s been on my mind all the time.
48. Just a small town girl, living in a lonely world. She took the midnight train going anywhere.
49. I feel a hot wind on my shoulder and the touch of a world that is older.
50. Jump on outta bed and I stumble to the kitchen, pour myself a cup of ambition.

Scoring
4 or less: I'm guessing you probably weren't even alive in the '80s.
5–14: Nick at Nite doesn't count as an '80s experience.
15–24: You got the easy ones!
25–34: Ronald Reagan presents you with an award for '80s superstar!
35–45: Denny Terrio, is that you?
45+: Wow, I'm impressed. And you need some serious help.

3 comments:

RockitQueen said...

ANSWERS

1. Rock The Casbah, The Clash
2. Mr. Roboto, Styx
3. Do You Really Want To Hurt Me. Culture Club
4. Sunday Bloody Sunday, U2
5. Maneater, Hall & Oates
6. Drive, The Cars
7. Rock Me Amadeus, Falco
8. I Just Called To Say I Love You, Stevie Wonder
9. Time After Time, Cyndi Lauper
10. Bang Your Head (Mental Health), Quiet Riot
11. When Doves Cry, Prince
12. Bizarre Love Triangle, New Order
13. Panama, Van Halen
14. Burning Down The House, Talking Heads
15. Something To Believe In, Poison
16. Borderline, Madonna
17. Head Over Heels, Tears For Fears
18. Total Eclipse Of The Heart, Bonnie Tyler
19. Kiss Me Deadly, Lita Ford
20. West End Girls, Pet Shop Boys
21. 99 Luftballoons, Nena
22. I Want Your Sex, George Michael
23. Take On Me, A-ha
24. Get Out Of My Dreams (Get Into My Car), Billy Ocean
25. Making Love Out Of Nothing At All, Air Supply
26. Lay Your Hands On Me, Thompson Twins
27. King Of Pain, The Police
28. Need You Tonight, INXS
29. Genius Of Love, Tom Tom Club
30. Video Killed The Radio Star, The Buggles
31. You Belong To The City, Glenn Frey
32. Alive & Kicking, Simple Minds
33. Your Love, The Outfield
34. Do They Know It’s Christmas, Band Aid
35. Cruel Summer, Bananarama
36. The Reflex, Duran Duran
37. Heart Of Glass, Blondie
38. I Ran (So Far Away), Flock Of Seagulls
39. 18 & Life, Skid Row
40. You Spin Me (Like A Record), Dead Or Alive
41. I Want To Know What Love Is, Foreginer
42. Pour Some Sugar On Me, Def Leppard
43. Billie Jean, Michael Jackson
44. Paradise City, Guns N’ Roses
45. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, WHAM!
46. We Are The World, USA For Africa
47. Sussudio, Phil Collins
48. Don’t Stop Believin’, Journey
49. Mexican Radio, Wall Of Voodoo
50. 9 To 5, Dolly Parton

Anonymous said...

36, Dude...I'm a gork and a freak...guess it could have been worse.
~L

Anonymous said...

i rule!

xoxoxox,
superstar